.ity of Carmel Trash services carmel recycling indiana
Thanks to Mayor Brainard, the City Council, and Carmel Utilities for putting forth a cost-effective, energy-efficient, and environmentally-responsible trash and recycling program that will -
- save residents money
- reduce the number of garbage trucks driving through our neighborhoods
- lead to safer streets and cleaner air for our children
- save fuel and reduce carbon emissions
- reduce wear and tear on our roads and save taxpayer dollars
- beautify our neighborhoods by having just ONE day when houses put out their trash
- promote environmentally-responsible recycling and reuse of our resources
As of 2015,
- ~20,000 Carmel Households are recycling. That's ~85% participation.
- ~20,800 tons recycled since program began in 2012.
As of 2017, Republic Services was the low bidder by more than 20% and was awarded a new seven year contract with the City. The new contract was expanded to include WEEKLY RECLYCING. No more remembering which week is your recycling week. The new billing fee:
...2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023
$11.18 $11.51 $11.85 $12.20 $12.56 $12.93 $13.31
Remember you can recycle plastics #1-7, plastic grocery bags, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, paper, newspaper, magazines, phone books, soft cover books, cardboard, cereal box type packaging and more. Just toss it all into the recycling bin. If you have questions, you may call Republic Services for assistance at 917-7300 ext. 0.
For large item pick-up, broken containers, ordering extra containers, container switch out, missed trash pick-up, special needs service, recycling questions etc. contact Republic Services at 317-917-7300 ext. 0 Mon - Fri between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.or visit www.indywaste.com
For questions about your bill, extended absence notification or unresolved complaints with Republic Services, contact Carmel Utilities at 317-571-2266 Mon - Fri between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or email at
For complete information about the City's trash and recycling program, please visit the City's website.
OPT-OUT PROVISION ELIMINATED
Order to get the best possible price at program rebid, and to reduce wear and tear on the City streets, the City Council eliminated the opt-out provision effective Januayr 2017. The Carmel City trash & recycling service will be provided to all single family homes and eligible townhome communities. Carmel Green Initiative applauds the City for eliminating the Opt-Out option. Opting out weakens and undermines the City program with regard to energy-savings and protecting the environment in the following ways:
- If just one household in your neighborhood chooses a different trash hauler, the neighborhood would revert back to having multiple garbage trucks driving through the neighborhood every week.
- It will not help reduce the wear and tear on our roads and save taxpayer dollars, nor lead to safer streets and cleaner air for our children with multiple trash haulers servicing the area.
- It will not save fuel and reduce carbon emissions which are national security issues.
- It will not beautify neighborhoods when trash bins sit on the curbside on multiple days.
- It does not address the issue the schools, churches and businesses are having when residents use their dumpsters. Those who were using school, church and business dumpsters can opt out of the City program.
We encourage residents to take full advantage of the city’s trash and recycling program for the greater good of the community as well as your own pocketbook. Check out this short video by Karl and Vaughn Niemiec which explains the impacts of having more than one trash hauler in your neighborhood. Read more.
Available Tote Sizes:
Large - 96 Gallon, H: 46 in. D: 30 in. W: 28 in
Medium - 65 Gallon, H: 42 in. D: 28 in. W: 26 in
Small - 45 Gallon, H: 38 in. D: 29 in. W: 24 in
These measurements are at the widest point which is at the top of the container. The footprint size is a bit smaller for all of them.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -: