TRANSITIONING TO THE NEW PROGRAM
Questions? Please contact Sue Maki at Carmel Utilities or visit Republic
The City program will serve single family homes and townhomes up to 4 units. The program does not apply to businesses or multifamily (4+) residences.
The City along with Republic Services is pleased to offer the City trash & recycling program to area businesses and organizations as a way to increase the level of recycling within the City as well as save the organizations money. Read more.
The City program will replace all previous service agreements and is scheduled to begin in January 2012, but may vary by neighborhood. Please plan accordingly during this transition so you don't end up with two trash haulers or none. Here's what to do...
- If you are currently served by Republic either as an individual or through your HOA, there is nothing you need to do with regard to your contract. The new City contract will automatically supersede all existing Republic contracts in January 2012. Stay tuned for forthcoming info on totes and trash schedules.
- If you are currently served by another trash hauler directly as an individual residential customer, you will need to give them notification of termination. Most contracts have a 30-60 day termination period. Ray's Trash Service (317) 539-2024 Waste Management (800) 443-5646. If your agreement cannot be terminated without a financial penalty, please contact Sue Maki at Carmel Utilities.
- If you are currently served by another trash hauler through your HOA, please contact your HOA for details. Some HOA contracts expire later in the year and the City program may be delayed, so please check with your Homeowners Association.
- Avian Glen will begin City service in July 2012. Totes will be delivered May/June. Please check back for details.
Residents beginning service in January 2012 will receive a wheeled 96 gallon tote for trash and a second wheeled 96 gallon tote for recycling between December 5th and December 31st. Existing Republic customers who do not have a recycling tote will receive one. Please note the trash and recycling totes will be delivered on different days.
If you will be out of town when the totes are delivered, please ask a neighbor to pull in your totes. If you can't make those arrangements, call Republic Services at 317-917-7300 ext 0. Tell them your situation and ask for a delayed delivery.
Residents beginning service later in the year: A few HOA contracts expire later in the year and the City program may be delayed, so please check with your Homeowners Association for details.
After the initial delivery, if you determine that a different sized tote (48 or 65 gallon) will better fit your household needs, you may call Republic Services at 917-7300 ext. 0 for assistance. Please note the footprint size of all three totes is similar so you are encouraged to go with the larger size for times when extra capacity is needed.
You may also request a third tote for trash OR recycling at no additional charge.
For those individuals with special needs who are physically unable to wheel their totes to the curb, Republic has a special service where they will wheel your tote down for you. To get additional information contact Republic Services at 317-917-7300 x 0.
Available Tote Sizes:
Large - 96 Gallon, H: 46 in. D: 30 in. W: 28 in
Medium - 65 Gallon, H: 42 in. D: 28 in. W: 26 in
Small - 45 Gallon, H: 38 in. D: 29 in. W: 24 in
These measurements are at the widest point which is at the top of the container. The footprint size is a bit smaller for all of them.x
What to do with the old totes? If your trash and recycling containers are owned by your current contractor, please give them a call to arrange for pick up. Ray's Trash Service (317) 539-2024 Waste Management (800) 443-5646.
To dispose of your own containers, you may put them inside your recycling tote (if recyclable) or inside your trash tote at your convenience. If it is too big to fit in your tote, there will be a special pick up during the weeks of February 6th through February 17th to properly dispose of your old container. Just mark the container “For Recycle” or “For Trash” so Republic Services knows to pick up the container.
Weekly trash pick-up varies by location. Recycling pick-up will be every other week (A or B) on the same day as trash pick-up. Please view the map for your designated trash pick-up day and the calendar for your recycling schedule.
Please have your carts out by 7 a.m. and within 4 feet from the roadway. Leave at least 3 feet clearance between carts and any other object, such as other carts, mailbox, trees, vehicles, etc. Service on Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Years Day and under severe weather will be delayed one day. Mon is picked up on Tues and Fri is picked up on Saturday.
In the event of significant inclement weather, trash and recycling services will run a day behind (i.e. if Monday service is cancelled, Monday customers are serviced Tuesday. Friday customers are serviced on Saturday). For updated information on weather related delayed schedules, refer to the City or Utilities websites at www.carmelutilities.com or www.carmel.in.gov or the Republic voicemail recording at 917-7300.
The program is set up so that trash has to fit inside the trash tote(s). The exception is landscape waste. During the months of April, May, October and November, each household is allowed 20 extra bags or bundles per week of Landscape waste. Outside of these months, each household is allowed one 4 foot bundle of twigs/limbs that are tied and bundled in addition to the trash tote(s).
There are extra fees for trash that does not fit in your trash tote, so be sure to get the right size and number of totes to meet your household needs. Please note that the amount of trash produced by your household will significantly diminish when you start recycling. Many families report putting out just 1 bag a week of trash when they recycle.
- Up to 20 bags/bundles each week
in spring (Apr/May) and fall (Oct/Nov) No charge
- Christmas Tree pick up No charge
- Extra totes (over the 3 mentioned above) $5 per tote per month
- Overage bags (55 gallon) $2.50 each
- Bulky Item Pick-up $10 per item
In the event of large amounts of extra waste, overage bags are available for purchase:
Utilities Billing Office
760 Third Ave. SW
Mon. – Fri. 8 am. to 5 pm.
Water Operations Office
3450 W. 131st Street
Mon. – Fri. 8 am. to 5 pm.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Site
(This location accepts checks only)
901 N. Range Line Road
Tues. – Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. to Noon.
The City program provides for biweekly, comingled (single-stream) recycling for no additional charge. You'll be able to recycle a wide range of recyclable materials including plastics 1-7, plastic grocery bags, glass bottles, metal cans, paper, newspaper, magazines, phone books, soft cover books, cardboard, cereal box type packaging and more. Please see List of Acceptable Recycling Items. Please do not bag the recyclables - just toss it all together.
The trash and recycling program will be billed and administered by Carmel Utilities for $8.82 per month. This is less than what most people pay today. Carmel Utilities will include billing on your water bill. If you do not currently receive a water bill, you will be billed separately. The 5-year contract with Republic Waste Services includes a small annual increase ranging from 26-29 cents each year. The contract was awarded to Republic because they were the low bidder.
Snowbirds and extended absence for more than a month will be able to suspend trash and recycling service. To suspend your service, please contact the Carmel Utilities Customer Service Office at 317-571-2442. This feature is not available for periods less than one month.
For large item pick-up, broken containers, ordering extra containers, container switch out, missed trash pick-up, special needs service, recycling questions etc. contact Republic Services at 317-917-7300 ext. 0 Mon - Fri between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.or visit www.indywaste.com
For questions about your bill, extended absence notification or unresolved complaints with Republic Services, contact Carmel Utilities at 317-571-2266 Mon - Fri between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or email at
OPT OUT/OUT IN
Residents who opted out during the opt out period may opt back in at any time by contacting Sue Maki at Carmel Utilities. We encourage everyone to give the new program a try. Opting out weakens and undermines the City program with regard to energy-savings and protecting the environment in the following ways:
- If just one household in your neighborhood chooses a different trash hauler, the neighborhood would revert back to having multiple garbage trucks driving through the neighborhood every week.
- It will not help reduce the wear and tear on our roads and save taxpayer dollars, nor lead to safer streets and cleaner air for our children with multiple trash haulers servicing the area.
- It will not save fuel and reduce carbon emissions which are national security issues.
- It will not beautify neighborhoods when trash bins sit on the curbside on multiple days.
- It does not address the issue the schools, churches and businesses are having when residents use their dumpsters. Those who were using school, church and business dumpsters can opt out of the City program.
We encourage residents to take full advantage of the city’s trash and recycling program for the greater good of the community as well as your own pocketbook. Check out this short video by Karl and Vaughn Niemiec which explains the impacts of having more than one trash hauler in your neighborhood. Read more.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION -:
Contact Sue Maki
Manager of Customer Relations & Education for Carmel Utilities
Contact Mayor Jim Brainard
Contact your City Councilor
Not sure who that is? Check out the Carmel City Council Map