What should I do with the old TV?


Over 90% of Hamilton County residents subscribe to cable or satellite TV.  A TV connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service does not require a TV converter box or a new digital TV.  IF you are not connected to any pay TV service, here are your options:

  • Keep your existing analog TV and purchase a TV converter box. A converter box plugs into your TV and will keep it working after June 12, 2009, click here for more information
  • Connect to cable, satellite or other pay service
  • Purchase a television with a digital tuner


Keep your current TV, if at all possible.  Save money and the environment. The average TV contains over 4 pounds of lead and numerous other hazards.


If you choose to purchase a new digital TV, please donate your usable non-digital TV to Goodwill or other non-profit organizations.  This is much better than recycling it.


TVs contain hazardous waste and may be recycled at

Hamilton County Household Hazardous Waste
- Noblesville location only

1717 Pleasant St., 46060   317-776-4005
General recycling bins open 24/7
TV, E-waste and Hazardous Waste Collection Open:
Mon-Wed 8:00am-4:00 p.m., Th 11:30a.m.- 7:00 p.m.
Fri 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
2nd & 4th Saturday of each month 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.



Many electronics, cell phone, and office stores are implementing programs that keep electronics out of the landfill.  When purchasing a new item, please ask the store clerk what programs are currently available.  Here are some examples:

For additional information visit: www.mygreenelectronics.org